[chbot] A possible challenge

Synco Reynders synco.reynders at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 12:23:59 BST 2011

Interesting idea... couldn't help but run some numbers.... I get:
So firstly 1acre is ~4000m^2, or a ~63m square field.
Assuming the robot is ~ 0.5 wide, and we were to do a full sweep of
the field in half a day (12 hours), we get:
Total distance traveled ~ (63 * 2) * 63 = 8000m
Average speed ~ 8000/12/3600 = 0.2m/s

I just happened to have a bag of walnuts and found:
~50 walnuts fit in a 1 litre container
A dried walnut weighs about 6grams so budget 10g for a fresh one.
Assuming a walnut is spherical ~30mm diameter

Next guess energy consumption... Thinking back to the days of driving
my RC car around... it had a 700mAh battery and it would last ~10min.
So to last a full acre we need: 12hrs * 6 * 0.7Ahr =~ 50Ah which is
~5kg of LiPo batteries (assumes 1000mAh is ~100g)
or ~250g of fuel (can be petrol/diesel/kerosene and assumes 33% conversion loss)

So far, I'd suggest using a little petrol motor which generates
electricity / (drives pneumatic pump?) to get duration and a quick
turn-around time.

Now the mechanics... I'll let someone else design this.
Hope this has helped.
/s