[chbot] Building a Sea Pearch ROV

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Oct 3 21:54:08 BST 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 11:03:02 kerry at manukadesign.co.nz wrote:
> Quoting Mark Beckett <m.beckett at amuri.net>:
> > Looks like a great idea.
> > Hadn't thought of sealing a motor in wax.
> >
> > Do you have access to Cat 5 patch cable (its more flexible than
> > ordinary single strand)?
> > I'm picking a couple of 20m lengths should be enough.
> >

> > Mark
>
> Yeah using wax just seems too simple. I would be interested in finding
> out what sort of depth you could get these down to before you get
> water leakage. In older designs they used a layer of vaseline at the
> shaft end of the motor then an epoxy to seal the rest.

It all comes down to how serious you are.

Clearly if you want something that lasts a long time or is deep diving then
you probably want something other than the wax sealing.

Timothy used the wax sealing down to a metre or two and it worked fine.

I have seen a magnetic coupling on one of those scuba scooter things. One
magnet on the wet side and one on the dry. This had the added benefit of the
magnetic coupling "shearing" non-destructively if it got fouled.