[chbot] FPGAs again ... Info so far

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jul 27 11:11:46 BST 2011

On Tue 26 Jul 2011 14:57:34 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

Thanks for all your work, Charles.

> Free Web Edition versions of tools are available

Web edition usually means the design is uploaded to some website, and
the result downloaded. Same as not having a C compiler, but having to
use someone's online service for compiling. I fail to see the appeal of
this, usually it's used to make compilers available without actually
giving them to anyone. Hopefully this is optional, not mandatory, but
we'll see.

> Not 100% sure what level of support there is for Linux, but scratching around
> on the forums show people using Ubuntu, Suse and RedHat.

Some tools (I forget which) were guaranteed for the enterprise versions
of SUSE and Red Hat. There are several reasons why suppliers choose this
approach, the large number of Linux distributions multiplied by the
number of their releases being the primary one. While not officially
supported the software will almost always run on the the cheap public
Linux releases, although some minor tweaking in paths etc may be
required. Anyone half competent should be able to do that. I wouldn't
worry about this at all.

It seems that the development tools are only available as 32bit
versions, they should run on a 64bit OS as well. I wouldn't worry about
this either. I've never had problems running 32bit code on a 64bit
openSUSE.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.