[chbot] Quartus II licensing of NIOS II

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Jul 26 00:50:49 BST 2011

On Sunday 24 July 2011 12:44:35 Mark Atherton wrote:
> Charles,
>
> Did you spot the time-limiting caveat associated with the Quartus II
> download with the NIOS II system generator ?

There are three flavours of NIOS2.

/e: No licensing restrictions. Limited. No cache or MMU. Can't run Linux
because there is no MMU. Can run ucLinux and other RTOSs.

/s and /f: More capable with caches and MMU. Licencing restrictions apply.

The restrictions on /s and /f are that the processor can be run in one of two
modes:

* Tethered: Must be connected via USB cable to development software running on
the host. Will run forever in this mode.
* Untethered: Need not be tethered, but will only run for a fixed time (??not
sure how long??) and then the CPU halts.

Thus, the nios does have some limitations but can still do what we need for
learning, particularly in the earlier "training wheels" stage.

As alternatives there are many non-restricted cores available for download.
Many of these include Linux support.

If people want to run Linux on the board, I would suggest using nios to get
their head around tools, then switch to one of the other cores to get away
from restrictions.

-- Charles