[chbot] building CNC router - was Free stepper motors

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sat Jul 2 00:02:30 BST 2011

'Urro...

Given a dremel new is $120-150 ish...

Trim routers like these:

http://www.powertoolshop.co.nz/product_info.php/cPath/20_96/products_id/20

For $119 with a full alloy body are a better bet.

As I see it, it's cylindrical so it's easier to mount, no speed control
inbuilt so you can use a closed loop speed control on it for better
cutting in soft stuff.  It'll also have higher rotor inertia and a
better quality chuck.

There are a few on the market.  When I last looked there were a few
options on the shelf at Bunnings/Mitre10 that looked good.

I was specifically thinking dremel replacements for wood/plastic/alloy
cutting.  If you're looking for dedicated spindle ebay is probably your
friend..

And, having said all that, my next project is going to be swinging a
water cooled VFD spindle.  I am sooooo over the noise of brushed routers!!!

Cheers, Me.