[chbot] building CNC router - was Free stepper motors

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Fri Jul 1 15:06:20 BST 2011

On 01/07/11 22:48, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>> I'll second that.
> of rigidity. I've made my own spindle but have blown it up twice now&
> If they're no good for a CNC job, try the leftovers from a dead battery
> drill?
>
> Volker

Battery drill motors wouldn't give you the revs you need, and running
for an hour on end would kill them as they are very simple brazed brush
motors.  They'd also have very low rotor inertia which would cause cut
quality issues if you could get the revs/feed right to keep the chip

The issues with dremels (and other cheap rotary tools) are the plastic
case flexing, junk bearings and the cheap chunk/collets used.

There are some very reasonably priced options rather than sticking with
a dremel.  A lot of people use them as they are the easy-access option I
suppose and they take a lot of punishment before they expire.  I used
mine because I already had it and I was really just messing around.  I
never expected I'd be using it 4 years later, that's for sure.

Cheers, Me.