[chbot] building CNC router - was Free stepper motors

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Fri Jul 1 10:26:13 BST 2011

On 01/07/11 14:23, HARTLEY, ROBIN (ROBIN) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've built a semi-successful CNC router/mill.
> I haven't used it to do PBCs but have routered up to 6mm Ali
I've done 3mm alloy with mine a few times making bits for a KAP rig
(Kite Aerial Photography) and it worked well, but took ages. :-)

There's even a video of mine doing some trial cuts in T3 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMq5gF0hGXg

Per the comments, not fast, but it got the job done.

> The biggest issue has been with using a dermal as the spindle&  lack of rigidity. I've made my own spindle but have blown it up twice now&  so it's on the "to do" shelf for a while.

I'll second that.  I'm using a dremel as well, but I re-built it with
higher quality bearings which helped a bit.  The stock bearings had
almost 0.5mm slop in the, which causes all sorts of problems.

Got in any pics of your router online? Always curious to see what other
folks are knocking up. :-)

Cheers, Chris H.