[chbot] OT: Compiler help

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 04:56:44 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I am looking for a favour or advice.

I have a USB audio device.  It is HID compliant, so it needs no drivers.
On the chip are two GPIO pins which I know are controllable (but which are
not normally used).  I have a data sheet for the pinout.  I have source
code and a compiled .exe for a test program which will set and read the
GPIO pins.  I do not have the source for the library file which constructs
the data packets to send to the device to change the GPIO pins.  (Grr!).
I want to control an external circuit using the GPIO pins, and keep the
audio functionality too.

I want to run the test program, twiddle the GPIO bits and capture the
packets which are sent to the device.  I can then figure out how write my
own code to control the GPIOs by constructing my own packets.  Oh, and I
can also double-check that the circuit I tack on to the GPIO will work,
because I can control it with the test program.

Unfortunately, the test code was compiled with a different product ID to
the chip I have (same product, different configuration), so the test
program won't run because it cannot find the device. (Grr!)

The source code is Microsoft Visual C++ with MFC.  I don't have a
compiler, and I'm not sure where to look (later compilers use .NET, but I
want old skool).  I also generally use Linux, but I have access to an XP
machine.

What I'd really like to do is send someone the source code and the product
ID and have them recompile and send the .exe to me...

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

PS I suppose this could be on-topic if the GPIO was being used to control
the Whirling Blades of Death on my Giant Killer Robot whilst the audio
output plays Waltzing Matilda (or something by One Man Army and the Undead
Quartet[1]).

[1] Yes, they are a real band:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Man_Army_and_the_Undead_Quartet