[chbot] Robot Friendly Bluetooth board, and Arduino Nano V3 compatible

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 8 14:12:28 BST 2011

On Mon 08 Aug 2011 09:15:46 NZST +1200, Richard Jones wrote:

> I'm considering ordering this bluetooth board from Deal Extreme. I'm hoping
> that it will provide short distance ttl serial comms to my micromouse robot.
> Handy for testing acceleration and deceleration without the encumbrance of
> cables.
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-bluetooth-rs232-ttl-transceiver-module-80711

I'm not sure I'd buy that. Read the comments: Not suitable as master.
Range about 5m. I don't see any approvals (if you care) or technical
datasheet. Bluetooth also sounds like far too much hassle than it's
worth.

May I suggest these instead:
http://nz.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1875307
About $13 a pop incl pp and a far more solid appearance.

> If you enter arduino into their search engine it also comes up with this
> Arduino Nano 3.0 compatible board:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/arduino-nano-v3-0-81877 This looks a lot
> simpler than etching PCBs.
>
> Anyone tried these products?

Not from dealextreme. The pictures look fine, if that's what you're
getting. Is it a 100% clone? Because if not, you'd want the layout files
and a decent schematic, which I don't see there. Preprogrammed with
bootloader if you don't have the gear for that? I'd rather buy from
nicegear.

But in general you're on the right track. It looks pretty daft to etch a
board if one can just buy an uno/nano/whatever this month's minimalistic
solution is.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.