[chbot] balancing robots

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Mar 25 18:13:09 GMT 2010

Taller structures and those with the centre of mass further away from the
wheels are way easier to balance. Increased angular inertia slows down the
toppling, making the control way more stable and easier. It is easy to
convince yourself of this:

Try balancing a pencil on its point on your hand. Very hard.
Now try balancing a broom with the head on your hand and the stick pointing
up. Easier.
Lastly try balancing a broom with the stick end in your hand and the head up.
Way easier.

So it you're designing a balancing robot, consider putting a nice chunk of
mass (eg the battery) at the top of the structure. That should make the
balancing problem a lot easier to solve.

Far more impressing, IMHO, is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JzeXfn-H6Q&feature=related
Small, very little overshoot, high acceleration. Much more challenging.