[chbot] next Meeting Wed 21st july 2010

william fleetwil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:32:03 BST 2010

for the next meeting I would like to show everyone some projects I have
done.
if you don't know me, I am william47316 on bright sparks and I have done a
few interesting projects involving 08M picaxe-s and shift registers. by the
time the next meeting comes around I may have finished my second prototype
and my 60mm high large proto
currently my second prototype needs a replacement display and some finishing
touches and I need parts for my large one

the displays use an 08M controlling nine 8 bit shift registers using a 595
for addressing the other 8 strobe lines with common data and clock rails
total of 4 outputs controlling 64. the picaxe receives 8 bytes of serial
data and processes them to the display eg the ASCII numbers and a few
letters get processed as display codes the rest can be for custom displays

the driver shift registers are ucn5841's which can be used on inductive or
other power loads and have Darlington outputs
they work quite nicely on the 08M and will drive common anode loads also a
plus that they are extremely robust

I can bring along my initial version, and the other two when they are
completely finished, my first version has a picaxe based clock I made too.

I may also bring along some other things I have eg a fan heater which I
replaced the mechanical thermostat with a Dallas temperature sensor and
picaxe controller which also displays temperature and function on my
display. and my old toshy which I have made some software which can control
the display via the serial port

to control the display you can send it at least 8 bytes of ASCII numbers or
other codes at 4800baud
to plug in you will need a two wire cable with either a DB9 female connector
or 3 pin header with wiring on the outer pins (of the header) or ground on
pin 5 and data on pin 2 for the DB9 plug. and a plug which connects to the
serial port output on your project/device

for other info check http://www.brightsparks.org.nz/#/forum/33/topic/8961/