[chbot] Arduino boards

Tim Carr Tim at mindkits.co.nz
Mon Jul 12 11:51:53 BST 2010

Hi King (and all), first up full disclosure - I'm Tim from MindKits and I've
been watching the thread run and am very happy to see the awareness for
local suppliers.

Although I'm a little biased it's worth pointing out that the creators of
the Arduino request that anything built as a clone/copy is labeled other
than Arduino. The reason being that when buying an Arduino you know the
parts and source can be depended upon. The Arduinos also come from Italy
which leads me to believe you're looking at a copy and it's worth weighing
up what to do with a faulty board if it breaks or doesn't work and the
quality of the components used.

My humble opinion is that if you're going for a knock off you may as well go
for a clone from a reputable source with support for when something breaks
or goes wrong. Many of these clones have the same key functionality but with
extras added on (eg we sell one with a prototyping area on board called the
TwentyTen ).

Another example is this board (please excuse the plug but I feel it is
fitting):
http://mindkits.co.nz/_product_36241/Seeeduino_V328_fully_Assembled

You'll note it's also cheaper than the Arduino copy/clone from China, comes
with a warranty and someone to call if it all goes pear shaped. The extra
features are listed on the MindKits page so I won't force you to read any
more from me.

Regards and a huge, genuine thanks to everyone who is keeping hobby
tinkering alive in NZ,
Tim
MindKits Chief Ninja

Regards,