[chbot] Test Tubes for Stirling Engine

Paul Davey plmdvy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:50:37 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Charles Manning
<manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 November 2010 20:19:47 Chris Hellyar wrote:
>> Are beakers not very slightly tapered?  Would they be blown into / onto
>> a mould and so need to be tapered to aid in releasing em?
>
> Surely no more than for test tubes?
>
> A slight taper does not really matter for the purpose I intended. Simple
> Stirling engines often have two "cylinders". One is the power cylinder which
> needs a tight fit. The other is the chamber for the displacer. There is a gap
> between the displacer and the chamber so a slight taper would not matter.
>

>> ( Knowing nothing about the process used to make a beaker! :-) )
>>
>> On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 09:27 +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
>> > I have two stirling engines (from kit) which I should bring to a meeting
>> > as there are some interested folk.
>> >
>> > I have bought stuff from lab warehouse in the past and they provided good
>> > service. I considered using a beaker as a cylinder to give a big
>> > see-through chamber.

This is the gamma configuration you describe.

The alpha configuration uses two pistons that seal that are attached
by a tube and a crank, they are at 9 degrees to each other or the
crank can be adjusted for this, one is heated one cooled.

The beta configuration is a single cylinder with a displacer and a
piston in the same cylinder.

The gamma is the beta with the piston external to the displacer cylinder.