[chbot] Expressions of interest in a construction project - Update

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Mon Sep 14 11:09:34 BST 2009

Nearly all the parts have arrived for our ATmega328 processor boards, we
are waiting on SI Components and also for invoices to arrive so that I can
work out the final cost.

A construction session at Chch Creative Space on Wednesday 23 September 7pm
looks like a possibility for folks who can't wait until our kiwibots
meeting on 20th October. I'll confirm just as soon as everything is in
place.

The Arduino fans may be pleased to know that the Arduino software tools
with 1k and 2k bootloaders work fine with the board with the addition of a
serial interface working via USB to serial lead with reset connected via
the DTR line. A prop plug would work too with a pin out adaptor.
Programming time with the bootloader at 57600 baud for my 5k mouse code is
1.81 seconds. Programming time with the Ladyada usbtiny is 3.46 seconds to
program and 3.13 seconds to verify the same 5k code.

There is a tiny hitch as I'm running my CPU at the 20MHz full rated speed,
whereas Arduino ATmega328 runs at 16MHz. I'll produce a patched Arduino
toolset for the faster boards, or folks can fit 16MHz xtals to be more
Arduino compatible.

Richard