[chbot] Summary

Morris skibear at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:39:21 BST 2009

Thanks to all that turned up. Come along next Sunday afternoon!

* Paul started converting an optical mouse into a camera (e.g.
http://spritesmods.com/?art=mouseeye or use google).

Jimmy and Paul worked together using a Parallax Propeller (thanks
Hanno!) to do the SPI interface but didn't get it running (I heard good
comments about the availability of code for the Propeller).

* Jimmy also freed the magic smoke from his H-bridge (SLA batteries can
deliver some hot Amps where they are not wanted!).

* I finished a power supply so my robot can now run from batteries, and
completed the electronics to drive the motors. This Wed & Sun is to
mechanically connect everything together into a single robot (using
Mecanno!).

* Greg explained to me that our perception of brightness is logarithmic
so to make a LED get brighter linearly using PWM the duty cycle needs to
change exponentially.

* Charles had some excellent practical advice for using ATMEGA
microprocessors and his son Timothy just produced: his NXT robot was
working and he was making changes to it.

* Richard discussed stepper motors and micromice (he earned a small 5V
1.8degree stepper motor out of an old 5.25 inch floppy drive).

Sorry for those I have missed out in the above... Thanks everyone!

Morris