[chbot] Does the current web site meet our needs?

PeterL peterl at robokits.co.nz
Thu Jul 30 10:06:46 BST 2009

Hi Richard

Robokits uses Drupal as well. It is not the easiest cms to implement
unlike Jumla but once set up it's very easy to add content. There are
also many themes and modules to add functionality available from
contributors. Drupal is free to use, no charge or royalties. Themes
(there are some basic ones already included in the installation package)
and modules are either free or not depending on what you want or where
you look. I think it includes a forum if I'm not mistaken. To get a
flash web site does require a Drupal developers input.

Peter

Richard Jones wrote:
> I came across this web site the other day:
> http://indoor.afterburn.co.nz/news.php, It uses the e107 content management
> system.
> It set me wondering whether our current web site is meeting our needs. The
> web space is generously funded by Hanno. Hanno and I spent an evening or
> two setting up our current site http://kiwibots.org using the Joomla
> content management system almost two years ago now, following on from some
> experiments that Carl did. The combination of web site and mailing list is
> functional but maybe we could do better.
>
> What I think we are missing is:
> 1. Someone with the time and energy to organise and manage a site.
> 2. An easy way for members to contribute and classify photos and videos.
> 3. A forum organised by topic.
>
> I have been wondering about using Picasa for organising pictures and videos
> but as far as I can see it does not offer administrator capabilities so
> that we can backup and restore following attacks.
> Anyone else have any thoughts or the time/skills to look into this?
>

> Richard

Robokits Ltd
Tel: 03 357 9519
PO Box 29084, Fendalton, Christchurch