[chbot] Hello from Japan

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Sun Feb 8 15:18:09 GMT 2009

Hi Hiroto Kawabata,

Welcome to the Christchurch Robotics mailing list and congratulations on
finding us.
People of all ages are welcome at our sessions and we would be thrilled to
have you and your son along. You can find directions to Science Alive by
clicking on the "map" link on our web site
http://kiwibots.org/calendar-2.html

Our meetings are quite free format and vary depending on what people bring
along and who wants to contribute. Sometimes we have a formal talk for an
hour or so. People bring along what they are working on to show and talk
about it. If people have nothing to show or talk about thats fine too.
We've been trialling a 6.30pm start to allow younger folks to come along
before bedtime. Our Sumo practice session had two youngsters of 4 and 6 who
were very enthusiastic, so I'm sure your 11 year old could find us
interesting. If the 9.30pm finish is too late it is quite appropriate to
slip away earlier.

Six months programming NXT is more experience than many of us have so you
may have some useful tips for us.

The Robocup Junior competition will be held in Christchurch during your
visit. Probably around the middle of August. You can find more details
here: http://www.robocupjunior.org.nz/ This years date and venue have not
yet been advertised. Many schools and individuals enter this competition
with NXT robots. We should be able to provide practice sessions at our
robotics evenings, we'll probably schedule an extra session for this in
July.

Cheers

Richard Jones