[chbot] Behaviour based robotics vs state machines and NXT-G

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Dec 16 01:53:57 GMT 2009

Behaviour based is very different from fuzzy logic, but there are some
connections with BEAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BEAM_robotics) and many
of the behaviour-based concepts are inspired by BEAM and the early workers in
both fields come from the same labs.

Both result in what is called "emergent behaviour". That is, complex behaviour
emerges for simple behaviour patterns working together.

Behaviour based robots don't tend to have overall plans. ie instead of having
a "big plan" called pick up cans and drop them over the side you instead have
4 or more independent behaviours that come together and the complex behaviour
emerges.

For example, a can picker might have the following independent behaviours in
low to high priority order.

* Wander around
* If you see a can and don't have one, approach it.
* If you're touching a can and don't have one pick it up.
* If you have a can and find the edge, drop the can.
* If you are too close to the edge, back up so you don't fall.

Each of those can be individually programmed and tested. It would be
interesting to consider how this could be done in NXT-G. Because you're
making much simpler behaviour blocks, perhaps programming are actually easier
like this.