[chbot] UAV I'm in

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Aug 24 23:35:26 BST 2009

I think it would be different to try different approaches and share ideas.

The UAV stuff I'm doing is not Propeller based. While Propeller seems to have
some admirable properties for some purposes, I just can't be bothered
learning yet another architecture, getting yet another set of tools, etc etc.
unless there is a very pressing reason to do so.

You don't need much CPU grunt to do a basic UAV and I'm going to use an AVR at
first because I know the toolchain, they're very cheap and very easy to use.

Most control stuff is quite light in its CPU requirements and a 68HC11
(remember them?) is enough to do a two-wheel balancing robot so I figure it
is enough to control a UAV flight.

If I get to needing something more grunty than that, for some serious software
engineering, then I'd probably put in an ARM Linux board. I've recently been
working with OMAP based Gumstix which will give you a very powerful Linux
board (including 256MB flash and 2456MB ram) in less than 20 grams.

I know you could kick of with Ardupilot or similar which will give a whole
drop-in autopilot for approx USD150 including GPS (http://diydrones.com/),
but I'm interested in doing a fresh project rather than just plugging in an
existing project.