[chbot] APC Magazine Arduino Article

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:33:21 BST 2009

While it is fun to have input here I think there are some very
critical points that might be missed.

* Know the readership. You're trying to add value to the magazine and
engage their readers. You need to understand who they are and how they
can be engaged. APC readership is different to Electronics Australia
or Silicon Chip etc. APC is primarily a PC magazine. While APC readers
might think themselves tech savvy, their understanding is likely
limited to knowing whether a board can fit in a PCI slot (but that's
just my take from reading a few APC magazines). Do they just want a
simple project where everything works (do exactly these steps and
something happens) or do they want one with a bit more challenge that
needs problem solving and understanding? Are they likely to know how
to solder or would that be a barrier to getting started?

* It is the APC editor's job to understand their readership. I would
strongly suggest that you engage the editor early on. Like anyone,
editors like it when their writers ask them for advice.

* You need to differentiate your article from those hundreds of blogs
and articles that can provide the info with 2 minutes of googling.
Your artucle needs to provide value more than just going to AVRFreaks
and downloading a tutorial on installing and doing a blinking LED with
WinAVR.

btw: For windows users, WinAVR is a very easy way to get started.