[chbot] Does the current web site meet our needs?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Aug 2 19:44:51 BST 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 21:07:44 Andrew Errington wrote:
> On Sat, August 1, 2009 15:55, jimmy allen wrote:
> > Would something like brightsparks (www.brightsparks.org.nz) web site
> > be too much It is a flash based site and works fairly well.
>
> I would strongly oppose the use of Flash (or Silverlight for that matter),
> but I support the idea of a decent CMS.  The best one is Plone IMNSHO, but
> it needs a bit of setting up.  Very easy for users though.

I too think that flash is a poor idea, but Silverlight is way worse since it
is Windows specific and does not seem to be going anywhere useful.

At the end of the day which CMS is used is surely of relatively minor
importance. All CMSs can surely provide the needs we have:
* wiki or other similar web content posting
* email list
* file storage (pictures, schematics,...)
* backup and other maintenance.
* (?? others ??)
* mainstream (ie. don't want to get into a situation where only one person in
the world knows how to drive it).

But, I come back to my first post on this:

What does Google Groups not do?
http://groups.google.com/intl/en/googlegroups/tour3/index.html
It has:
* Message list with profiles, ranking, threading, archiving, email masking,...
* Group web pages
* File storage
* Google does the backup.

About the only thing I don't see here that would be useful, perhaps, is a code
storage mechanism. For that github.com is great.

-- CHarles