[chbot] Tips

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Sun Sep 14 10:56:15 BST 2008

I was just checking an IR LED / Photo Transistor pair scavenged from a
mouse using the standard procedure.
Resistor of a few K in series. Look for the largest metal and hope its the
cathode of the LED,
check fwd volt drop ~1.4V & check with the web cam to see it light up. And
I got to thinking I'll bet not all of us know how a cheap web cam helps
view infra red LEDs. So there it is, attached is the simple proof. Colour
cams have an IR filter, but they are never perfect.

Anyone else have any helpful tips that not quite everyone will know?

Richard