[chbot] Shaft Encoder

Mikael Stewart mikael.stewart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 12:35:25 BST 2008

This may be veering a little off topic but I figure since I haven't come
across this on the net before I'd share it with you people... who knows, it
may be of use...

In the recent past I've used two DIY optical encoder concepts that seem to
work quite well. In both cases I've used the optical sensor and quadrature
detector from inside a computer mouse. In one case I also used the encoder
wheel from inside the same mouse which I attached to one end of a motor with
a double ended shaft. This encoder has 36 counts per rev, which gives 144
ticks per rev (2.5 deg.) resolution + direction when clocking on both edges
of both signals (36x4) - the dsPIC i'm using conveniently does this in
hardware. The downside is that these sensors are designed for slow
operation, so with weak pull up resistors (or pull down as the case may be)
the voltage swing at high speeds reduces and the signal begins to look more
and more sinusoidal until the micro eventually stops registering the
transitions completely. Since the offset differs negligibly (mainly with
ambient light), I solved the problem using a simple voltage comparator +
hysteresis on both channels. The result is the ability to register at least
4000rpm + direction without any hint of a glitch. I haven't tested beyond
this speed as the motors I'm using don't go any faster!

I've uploaded some photos to show you what I'm talking about:

http://mikael.geekland.org/photos/P1010009.JPG  -- motor before adding
encoder.
http://mikael.geekland.org/photos/P1010016.JPG  -- after (only one mouse per
two motors needed!).
http://mikael.geekland.org/photos/P1010020.JPG  -- after close-up.
http://mikael.geekland.org/photos/P1010022.JPG  -- one of the rejected PCBs.
shows how simple it is though!

What the photos don't show is the plastic cover essential for blockign
ambient light, thus keeping the signal offset stable. Also, the vtg
comparator circuit is on the microcontroller side of electronics, so the
motor pcb only has a essential pull up resistors + led + detector.

... WIth that out of the way, the other method I've tested but not really
used was inspired by the SRS encoder article at
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200109/dpa.html. I took the
postscript file from here but instead of printing on paper, i made a much
higher resolution encoder on OHP plastic and protected the print side with
transparent Duracell (stickable dust cover for books). Using the fine pitch
sensitivity of the mouse quadrature detector obviously allows for quite a
high resolution disc (far superior to what the SRS article illustrates).
Remember also that even if the pitch is a little too small for the
quadrature encoder, all that happens is a little cross coupling between ON
and OFF states, which basically turns a square wave output more sinusoidal,
which again is easily solved using a voltage comparator circuit. The
coupling between channels is probably not so much an issue, so long as you
have detectable phase difference. Also, the OHP + Duracell combination was
rigid enough for quite a large disc. I used a homemade Perspex washer ring
thingy to attach to the motor shaft. Downside is of course that it requires
some room either side of the encoder wheel for led + detector.

Ok I'm done :)

Mikael