[chbot] Shaft Encoder

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:44:40 BST 2008

There are different kinds of hall effect sensors. Some need to have
alternate poles to turn on/off and some do not.

With the HE sensor I am using I only need one magnet.

The HE sensors are a bit more expensive than optical forks, but they are so
much simpler to use and don't need any supporting electronics.

I bought the tiny magnets from a place in USA by mail order, but might end
up using something I bought from Natures Discovery.

Interestingly, that flexible fridge magnet stuff is made up of alternate
bands of north and south magnet and  would make an effective linear encoder.

Quite a few DC motor encoders use HE sensors because they are far more
robust against dust etc than optical sensors.