[chbot] Shaft Encoder

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:38:10 BST 2008

Hi Richard
There's an alternative that we are dabbling with using a Hall Effect sensor
that is probably a lot easier to do than shaft encoders.
The Hall Effect sensor is just a 3-pin transistor like device that detects a
magnetic field (eg. UGN3141 from South Island Components). The magnet can be
one of those tiny 2.5mm Neodymium magnets embedded in a gear (Drill a hole
and glue it in). Since some of gears inside the gearbox rotate quite fast
you can get pretty good resolution.