[chbot] Balancing robots

John Stowers john.stowers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 23:41:53 BST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Michael Pearce <mike at kiwacan.co.nz> wrote:

> > This is a level of stability and control not achievable with simplistic
> PID
> > or Fuzzy controllers.
>
> Actually the Segway used a good number of dsPICs to do it all.... so
> not as much processing power as you may have presumed.... (Note: dsPIC
> is _NOT_ a dsp- it is a 16 bit digital signal Controller up to 40MIPS)

I wasn't referring to simplistic in the computational complexity sense, I
was referring to it in reference to the theoretical foundations of the
approaches.

Was definitely in the 2007 version.... may be different now.

Cool, thats actually quite interesting to know. I wonder what drove their
decisions to go with the dsPICs.

John