[chbot] Brightsparks awards Robots

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Sun Nov 9 08:05:25 GMT 2008

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Brightsparks awards at the Chch
Convention Centre on Friday. Finalists were there with their inventions in
different age categories from secondary schools all around the country.
These are the net generation who have grown up with colour tv and internet
since birth. All the presentations I saw were incredible for their
ingenuity and the stamina shown by the amount of work poured into them, and
I'll bet there are a few special teachers and mentors in the mix too. I
found three robots, one played noughts and crosses picking up the pieces
and playing the human opponent. A rescue robot with 2 way radio, tv link
and a gripper with DIY remote control, and a card dealing robot. Many of
the electronic designs used Picaxe, now I come to think about it I can only
recall two AVR designs, all the others were Picaxe.

Richard