[chbot] SMD experiment #1

Next Kiwi next at pitstock.com
Thu May 8 00:28:50 BST 2008

Hi Chris,

Every BGA I have put down "manually" has been perfect. I check them under
our stereo microscope afterwards. Maybe I am lucky but then maybe not. I
even used press'n'peel for one BGA board.

http://www.pitstock.com/robonz//stuff/bga_press_n_peel.jpg
http://www.pitstock.com/robonz//stuff/gyro_done.jpg
Only low pin count BGA but I have done higher

The key to manual BGA placement is to make sure your board has some location
marks on the artwork. I actually prefer BGA's over MLP's now. The don't
suffer as much from oxidisation. You must also very lightly dip your BGA in
"flux paste".

Your thermocouple will survive. Ours are really toasted looking but are
still accurate.

Cheers
Keith