[chbot] gps modules...

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Mar 9 02:58:36 GMT 2008

On Sun, March 9, 2008 11:03, Chris Hellyar wrote:
> Hi-ho,
>

> Totally unrelated to my messing about with gcbasic etc. :-)
>

> I've been messing about with a GPS (Garmin etrex) in NEMA mode hooked up
> to a laptop and was thinking of sticking one on some sort of platform that
> could navigate and 'return to home'.
>
> Rather than lugging an etrex around on a small platform I was wondering
> if anyone had any links to or experience with a small GPS module that I
> could get data out of in nema (or similar) format into a Micro.
>
> Google found a few options, but some feedback on one or another module
> would be dandy.

Hi Chris,

Take a look at GPS 'puck' modules or GPS 'mouse' modules.  This term
generally describes a packaged GPS engine with a single cable.  The
housing is generally waterproof/weatherproof, and often incorporates a
magnet to attach to a car roof.  Here's one for a reasonable price:

http://www.expansys.co.nz/d.aspx?i=151674

They're all pretty much the same wrt features and performance.  Most have
both RS232- and TTL-level serial I/O and require a 5V supply.  Check the
pinouts carefully.

If you want to go all hi-tech then look at the Trimble Lassen series.
Here's the SQ module for example:

http://www.trimble.com/lassensq.shtml

Make sure you get the integrated antenna, and you'll probably need a
carrier board to break out the power and data lines for easy connection.
You'll have to make your own mounting and housing assembly, but you could
achieve the same ghetto look for your project by buying a working GPS and
cutting it open to expose the innards.

Tangentially related: for cheap connectors for Garmin products speak to
Bruce in Sumner (Google for "Pfranc").

Ciao,

Andrew