[chbot] Speaking of diversions...

follower follower at rancidbacon.com
Sat Mar 1 12:54:15 GMT 2008

> > > An open source (hardware and software) development doofer, based on an
> > > AVR.
> > > http://www.arduino.cc/

Looks like I turned up just in time... :-)

I've been doing quite a bit with the Arduino over the last six or so
months after I was introduced to it early last year. (This was part of
the result of that first introduction:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6JAwyZ5I-g> :-) )

I have more notes on various Arduino-related projects here:
<http://code.rancidbacon.com/Arduino>

Most recently I've been working on an Ethernet expansion shield for
the Arduino based on a WIZnet WIZ810MJ module, sourced for a recent
Circuit Cellar design competition. More details:
<http://code.rancidbacon.com/Netduino>

> Looks quite nice as well, and seems to have a good community around it.
Yeah, the Arduino seems to meeting a real need in the design/arts and
hobbyist communities at the moment. I found it a really great way to
move from software into hardware. The forums tend to be really
supportive--I'm amazed at how much patience some members have when
helping people exploring electronics, microcontrollers and software
for the first time.

I've got a couple of Arduino variations which I could bring to the
next meeting if there's interest and I'm able to make it.

--Phil.

P.S. I'm not sure if it's public yet, but I recently discovered a New
Zealand distributor for Arduino has been appointed--previously the
closest distributor was Australia.