[chbot] Meeting Report for Wed 17th October 2007

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 19 08:09:08 BST 2007

Christchurch Robotics Group Meeting.

Wednesday 17th October 2007

Thank you to those who came on Wednesday. A record turnout, some new
faces and some new robots and very interesting topics to talk about
and things to see. Thanks too for those who sent apologies, we can't
all make every session. We are still fortunate to be able to use the
Science Alive facilities, so please keep putting your gold coin
donations into the tin, they are appreciated.

Organisational Developments since the last Meeting

Advertising and word of mouth is growing our numbers. Please send me
any ideas that you may have for publicity, or just do it! I’ll bring
some publicity sheets to the next meeting for new members to take
away so that they have contact details for us.

Our prototype web site: http://groups.msn.com/chchrobotics has some
photos of Wednesday’s session. Subscribe or send me your content if
you would like to have information posted. We have had an offer of
help with an improved web site and hosting in return for some
publicity. More news soon.

Attending Robots and Topics

Synco Reynders gave us a fascinating talk about the development and
operation of his GPS Boomerang with videos of media coverage and some
experimental flights. See http://www.gpsboomerang.com/ for more
details and prices.

Hanno Sander brought a wonderful balancing robot that uses
accelerometers and gyros and a parallax propeller array processor to
balance on two wheels and dance. The bot leans back before driving
forwards, and has a neat trick if the motors cannot meet the demand.
Have a look at Hanno’s site http://mydancebot.com. There are some
pics from Hanno here: http://groups.msn.com/chchrobotics/shoebox.msnw.

Peter Harris brought along his Robot Lawnmower. Still under
development but moving nicely under radio control. Heaps of sealed
lead acid batteries, huge FET H bridges and a neat tendancy to stand
on its stabilizer wheel. This looks like a bot not to be messed with.

Carl Ranson brought along some tiny DC motors to give away, thanks Carl.

Peter Morris showed his table top challenge robot named 'Hugo'
adapted for line following which it did very nicely. Anyone up for
line following races next session?

Steve Graham bought an optical stepper motor driven scanning table
with a laser line for capturing 3D images on computer that can then
be used for direct fabrication.

Richard Jones brought a micromouse maze simulation written in Python
now moving and turning in the maze competition style, and a DSL modem
to be adapted for robotics using openwrt. See http://openwrt.org/

All told a very lively and interesting session. If I’ve missed
anything or corrections are required just email the group. Thanks to
all who came.

Next Meeting

Our next meeting will be on Wednesday 19th December 7.30pm Seminar
Room (Note the change back to our normal venue). Bring a xmas fare
plate and some robots to talk about. With no main topic we can divide
our attention appropriately to each bot that comes along.

Statistics

16 In Attendance including 1 partner, 1 chauffeur, 1 guest

6 first timers, 10 been before.

5 from Tait Electronics

1 from Canterbury University

2 from Bright Sparks

~0 Biscuits eaten. I forgot the biscuits doh!

5 Moving Robots. Lawn Mower, GPS Boomerang, Dancebot, Line Follower,
Scanner (in approx weight order)

$21.80 Room Collection for Science Alive!

richard.jones at tait.co.nz