[chbot] Micromouse Site

Richard Jones chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:54:40 +1200

Here is an extract from Peters reply about the UK Micromouse
site
construction:

" The new site is still in its early days. While it is a bit
of a bugger to learn how
to use, the backend is all stock stuff.

It is hosted on a standard commercial account providing php
and mySQL. the
forum is the phpBB forum system which is quite easy to set
up and administer.
We have just added the main set up which is an installation
of Joomla 1.xx.
This is also an open source product - very popular with
plenty of on-line
resources. Other than that it involves a goodly amount of
tinkering. I first
installed all the software on a local machine to try it all
out. this machine runs
a package called XAMPP which is a full Apache, MySQL, PHP
server
environment for windows.

After that you just need absurd amounts of time:) "

I guess time and ownership are the keys here.
Has anyone thought of any more requirements beyond Carls
original list?
I'll restate it  and add a few, hope I don't leave anything
out:
Functional
0. Members general publishing areas.
1. Forum - members chat area.
2. Gallery - photos and descriptions
3. Download - Files, applications, forms etc
4. Links - To related sites
Non Functional:
1. Able to change host server easily
2. Able to backup entire site easily
3. Low startup cost
4. Low running cost
5. Registered domain name, suggest chchrobotics.org.nz

Any more thoughts anyone?

Regards

Richard Jones