[chbot] ChCh Robotics www site is live

Richard Jones chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:02:59 +1200

Continuation of Re: [chbot] Does ChCh Robotics need more www
presence?

I agree with all the comments so far and have put together
an embryo site
using msn. If impatient have a look at
http://groups.msn.com/chchrobotics
then read on...

The msn site will never meet all our functional and
non-funtional
requirements, so I see msn as temporary. Now we have a web
site we can
concentrate on robotics and collect the more subtle
requirements at our
leisure. Last night I had a chat with Mark Venter who setup
and runs the cmac
site: http://groups.msn.com/cmac He was generous with his
time and passed
on quite a few tips about using msn (thanks Mark). In
particular:
Pro:
1. It is free
2. It can be managed by many people. ie delegates well.
3. Can be configured from any computer via a browser.
4. May be integrated with a private domain name.
5. Good availability ie up time.
Cons: (Why this is temporary solution)
1. It can't be backed up.
2. It can't be transferred to another host.
3. Some folks have a bias against Microsoft.
4. Cannot select our own features
5. Quickly runs into storage limitations. (but can refer by
link)
6. Works best with MS Internet Explorer. (I used Safari for
everything you can
see today).
7. Does not seem to be seen by google.

So there you have it. My preference is for our own site,
privately hosted with
our own domain name and every feature on our wish list, and
I seem to have
done the opposite. If you would like to add to the site join
the msn group and
email me your user id so that I may set the management
permissions. When
we grow out of msn we can replace the msn pages with a
pointer to our new
shiny www site. (So archive you own data). And as with most
open source
projects please submit patches rather than feature requests!

TODO: Anyone have ideas for a logo?
TODO: Anyone up for setting up the msn messages?

Regards

Richard Jones