[chbot] FIRST Robotics in the USA

Michael Pearce chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:11:06 -0400

Hi All,

The conference I just got back from in the USA had some of the local
FIRST robotics compeditors put on a demonstration competition for us.

I have a few photos and videos of what they did that evening.

With FIRST, all groups are supplied exactly the same large box of
materials including motors, metal etc. They have to build a single
robot that is capable of performing several specific tasks.

The tasks they showed us were:

1. Pick up inner-tube (actually large coloured pool tubes) and place onto a rack
    This was a time trial and had two robots competeing against each
other a a time

2. Pick up another Robot.
    There were two robots per team - first team to pick up their other
robot wins.
    Lots of different ways to do this.

I will try and put it all together later as a video - maybe for the next meeting

Sorry - wont be there tonight - still a little Jet Lagged.

Mike

--
Kiwacan
Electronics Design