[chbot] Circuit help please, low voltage cutout

Chris Hellyar chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:12:02 +1200

ZD1 sets a stable voltage reference of about 5.3-5.5V (depends on
characteristics of the zener) on the '-' input to the opamp...

This is compared to the voltage set by the 22k and 20K pot using the
opamp as a comparator, which goes down as the cell does...  When the
voltage cross the resistor/pot is less than the reference set by ZD1 the
opamp puts it's output low, which turns off Q1, making the reference at
the - input go to the + rail from the battery, latching the circuit.

Pushing S1 turns on Q1, which forces the ZD1 reference voltage to
5.3-5.5V, so assuming that the battery voltage is high enough to bring
the + input higher than that the opamp output will turn on, turning on
the load and Q1, latching the reference to the lower voltage again.

You could replace the mosfet with a conventional transistor, although
you'd need a buffer of some sort after the op-amp, and you'd get a .6V
drop across the transitor..  Use an IRFZ44 or similar, they have a
22mOhm (milli not mega) on resistance, so you'll get minimal drop, and
they only cost a couple of bucks...  Or I can post you one for nothing,
I wound up with a few of them in error. :-).

Cheers, Me.