[chbot] milling/routing PCB's.

Chris Hellyar chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:30:21 +1200 (NZST)

Yikes.

Waka CNC on Birmingham drive carry small end mills, but I wouldn't expect
them to be that expensive!  The 3mm carbide ones I got recently cost $30
or so.

>From reading some of the US sites and end-mill isn't the right tool for
the job though, they all talk about 'V' carbide engraving tools.

They are $30US from the one supplier I've found on the web, so I was
picturing more like $60NZ or so, for $150 I'd be better off emailing
gerber files to Huntsbury and getting nice solder masked, screen printed
boards back!

Cheers, Me.

> Hi Chris,
> I think you may find it a lot cheaper to import.
>
> Trade Tools have 0.5mm 2 flute end mills but they are $140 each.
>
> Go to "www.tradetools.co.nz" and select browse only, it's not all that
> obvious on the home page.
>
> this link may take you directly to them
> "http://www.tradetools.co.nz/cgi-bin/?E4TRANSID=gxbbRKxZcBrt8pap7coRrpp8xapxqJIg&TARGETPGM=TTLWLCCL&MODE=*LIST&CLASS=ILS"
>
> otherwise do a key word search on "carbide"
>
> Regards,
> Robin
>

> Chris Hellyar <chris@trash.co.nz>
> Sent by: chchrobotics-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
> 12/04/2007 09:25 p.m.
> Please respond to
> chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz

> chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [chbot] milling/routing PCB's.
>

> Not that I've seen...
>
> Going through the dremel catalogue and info I could find on the web
> there are only a few carbide bis, and no really fine engraving tools in
> there..
>
> The problem with PCB's (which is kinda obvious) is that you're cutting
> through copper, which work hardens as you cut it, into fibreglass which
> is hell on tools as well.  Carbide is the way to go from what I've read.
> I can import some from the US, but I'm all for finding a local supplier
> if possible.
>
> Cheers, Me.
>
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 21:02 +1200, Andrew Errington wrote:
>> I don't suppose there is a specific Dremel bit you could use?

>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:43, you wrote:
>> > Yeah, if it's not too much trouble...
>> >
>> > I've built a small junk-box cnc router as a learning tool on the way
>> > building a large one, and thought it'd be interesting to play with
>> > milling PCB's..
>> >
>> > The info I can find on the web refers to specific engraving tools to
>> > use, but I've struck out trying to source them locally.
>> >
>> > I got vaguely OK results with a hand ground tool, but because it was
>> > made of high speed steel and not carbide, it only lasted about 1/4 of
>> > the way through a very small PCB.  (One 14 pin IC and a connector,
> test
>> > layout)
>> >
>> > Cheers, Me.

> This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not
> copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of
> the sender.  If you have received this email in error please kindly delete
> this message and notify the sender.  Opinions expressed in this email are
> those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.
>
> This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses.  No
> liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether
> caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.

Cheers, Chris Hellyar
p: 03 324 4462
c: 027 255 3494
w: http://cpix.co.nz