[chbot] Odometry

Michael Pearce chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:46:48 +1300

An alternative to optics that is widely used in the
automotive industry for speedo/odometer and RPM (Diesels
and Fuel Injection) is to use a hall effect device with
either a vane, or gear tooth.

A common arrangements are:

1. Gear Tooth/vane - Hall (Specific type) - Magnet

    > H =

2. Magnet - Iron Vane - Hall

  = | H

3. Magnetic Vane - Hall
  + H

All work well but do require careful alignment and gaps.
Depending on your hall type it may have logic output, or
need a simple AMP and/or Comparitor setup to generate the
pulses.

An Iron Vane setup is available from Soanar Plus for
NZ$15.31+GST (ZD1900) Commonly used in Automotive ignition.

A hall effect sensor suitable for Notch sensor, gear tooth
sensor, current monitoring etc is NZ$3.84+GST (ZD1902)

Mike