[chbot] Meeting Summary - 20 December

Andrew Errington chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:20:06 +1300

Hi all,

For the benefit of those who couldn't be there (and indeed the weather was
foul, so thanks to those who did venture out!) here is a summary of what
went on at the last meeting for 2006.

We had, I think, 8 people present, and two robots.  Mike brought some
Christmas fare to nibble on, but sadly R2 could not be there as he was
still on tour delighting fans at sold-out venues across the country.

As well as the usual geek-speak (which included a discussion of model jet
turbines) we had demos and discussions of the two robots present.  First
was a live demo of the AVRcam attached to Peter's robot.  We were able to
watch a laptop screen connected to the robot show the position of a
(brightly painted) wooden block as it moved around within the robot's field
of view.  This was impressive, and more remarkable is the fact that the
AVRcam can track 8 objects of different colours at the same time!

Richard showed the progress on his MicroMouse platform.  It was executing
square turns on the tabletop, but was not yet tracking wheel rotations so
the 90 degree turns were not quite 90 degrees...  This is still an
experimental platform, but looks very promising.  I am sure there are a lot
of potential MicroMouse competitors here, once we can see what it's all
about (no pressure Richard).

Thanks to Science Alive! for the use of the venue (and the heating!!).  The
next meeting is scheduled for 21 February.  I hope to see more of you there
(outside the holiday season, and in warmer weather).

Best wishes for the New Year,

Andrew