[Templates] plugin base...

Eric Sammer eric@linuxstep.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:19:17 -0500

all:

i'm working on a site where we use the plugin arch a bit. i have a few
plugins built with a prefix like SiteName::Plugin::<PluginName> which
works well. the issue is that i have a few plugins with the same name,
using the package name to distinguish them. my real question is would
anyone consider allowing no plugin base so we can use fully qualified
package names in the USE tokens? it would be nice to do something like:

[% USE poll = MySite::Plugins::Poll() %]

rather than

[% USE poll = Poll() %]

especially in situations where the package name could be choosen
dynamically based on teh virt host the request comes through. that said,
i understnad the security implications involved in not rooting what
modules could be run in a request, but i thought that maybe since the
ABSOLUTE option snuck in, something similar would be considered for plugins.

if this is something that's of even remote interest, i'll submit a patch
(i'm just on limited time and don't want to do the work if it's not of
interest to andy and the other TT'ers)

comments?

thanks in advance to all...
--