[Templates] TT Speed Question

Perrin Harkins perrin@elem.com
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:25:54 -0500

Paul Makepeace wrote:
> So as it stands it's creating a new Template object per request. Do you
> have any suggestions how I might get around this i.e. retain this or
> similar behaviour but also make it persist? I didn't 'til now realise
> the persistence was that important.

It's incredibly important.  You are working your server hard right now
by making it compile huge chunks of Perl on every request.

Do a search for INCLUDE_PATH in the list archives and you'll see dozens
of explanations of how to change it dynamically without creating a new
Template object.

(Andy, maybe Template should default to using a persistent cache kept in
a global so that people don't keep getting tripped up by this.)

- Perrin