[Templates] TT Speed Question

Perrin Harkins perrin@elem.com
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:43:33 -0500

Of the engines tested, I would expect Embperl and the proprietary ones
to be faster than TT, and Mason to be slower.  That's what other tests
have shown.  The caching problem that others mentioned is one possible
cause.   The XS stash will always be faster, but if something else is
slowing it down then the difference may be hard to see.

Homegrown systems with very minimal functionality are always going to be
faster than more complete ones.  I've written several template systems
faster than TT, but their speed didn't make up for the fact that they
sucked.

I would also like to point out that this is a totally bizarre template.
  It uses its own filter routine instead of a TT filter.  It accesses
nearly all variables by calling main.getEx('some.complex.variable')
instead of putting that data in the stash.  It uses RAWPERL.  This is
not letting TT do what it does best, i.e. make clear and concise
templates with minimal effort.

- Perrin