[Templates] TT Speed Question

Adrian Howard adrianh@quietstars.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:28:40 +0000

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:39  pm, Hann, Brian wrote:

> Hey guys, quick question
>
> I'm having an ongoing discussion with someone who makes several claims
> about TT's speed that seem to be contrary of the experiences of other
> people here.  I'll just paste an excerpt:
>
> ---------------------------
> Template Toolkit is a fine thing but it is horribly slow. I tested
> several template engines on different platforms with GTChat, and
> Template Toolkit was by far the slowest of all. It only has acceptable
> times with mod_perl. Template::Stash::XS doesn't help - zero speed-up.
[snip]

Without knowing how the template was called and the stats produced it's
hard to say (I don't understand German, so the answers may be in the
article).

For example: Was caching of compiled templates enabled? Was a single
Template object used? The timings don't agree with my personal
experience, so my guess the answer to both these questions will be no.

Debates about relative speed's of different engines are largely
pointless anyway. Is it fast enough is a better question than is it the
fastest.

More useful questions are:
	- Does it do the tasks that you need it to do?
	- Is it maintainable?
	- Does it work reliably?
	- Can you get support?
	- Can you extend it?