[Templates] TT Speed Question

Hann, Brian Brian.Hann@umb.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:39:28 -0600

Hey guys, quick question

I'm having an ongoing discussion with someone who makes several claims =
about TT's speed that seem to be contrary of the experiences of other =
people here.  I'll just paste an excerpt:

---------------------------
Template Toolkit is a fine thing but it is horribly slow. I tested =
several template engines on different platforms with GTChat, and =
Template Toolkit was by far the slowest of all. It only has acceptable =
times with mod_perl. Template::Stash::XS doesn't help - zero speed-up.=20
=20
The test results are here: =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/templateengines.html (only German =
at the moment, but the results are understandable anyway). =
SimpleTemplateEngine is the one used in GTChat by default and perfectly =
optimized for it's needs (it has been somewhat improved since this =
test), Embedder is an ultra-simple thing written by me, all other =
engines are only dummies to make existing Perl modules fit into GTChat. =
SimpleTemplateEngine and Template Toolkit are the only two with an own =
mini language, all other engines embed Perl code into the templates.=20
=20
Here the templates:=20

SimpleTemplateEngine http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login.html=20
EmbedderTemplateEngine =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_embedder.html=20
EmbperlTemplateEngine =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_embperl.html (for =
HTML::Embperl 1.x) and =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_embperl2.html (for Embperl =
2.0)=20
MasonTemplateEngine =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_mason.html=20
MicroMasonTemplateEngine =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_micromason.html=20
ToolkitTemplateEngine =
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_toolkit.html=20
XPPTemplateEngine http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/login_xpp.html
http://www.gtchat.de/templateengines/templateengines.html

What do you think, does this have any validity?

Thanks,

Brian Hann