[mythtvnz] Database management

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 22:03:03 BST 2021

> And presuming that your new system has an SSD, then you probably want
> to TRIM the SSD more than once a week, as the MythTV database activity
> can use up quite a bit of the erased SSD space.  The default settings
> for Ubuntu's fstrim.service and fstrim.timer are to only run fstrim
> once a week.  So you should do:
>
> sudo edit fstrim.timer
>
> and put something like this in the systemd override file:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Discard unused blocks once a day
>
> [Timer]
> OnCalendar=
> OnCalendar=daily
> AccuracySec=10m
>
> Or you could add the "discard" option to your SSD partitions in fstab.
> Or both, as I am now doing.

Hi ,

Both my 16.04 and 20.04 systems use SSDs for the OS - storage is on HDD.

I've read conflicting opinions on the use of discard.

'sudo edit fstrim.timer' in both my Ubuntu 21.04 desktop and 20.04 myth
TV box, results in: 'Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type
"cannot open `fstrim.timer' (No such file or directory)" ' What is the
name of the systemd override file you refer to? Cheers -Paul