[mythtvnz] New install Xubuntu 20.04

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 06:11:19 BST 2021

On 11/07/21 4:04 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:54:52 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> It seems I spoke too soon.
>>
>> If I let the mythwelcome screen time out when idle (300 secs) the system
>> shutsdown and freezes on the splash screen.
>>
>> btw. I ran the mythtv-systemctl-helper commands from the terminal and
>> there was no prompt for a password and they worked fine.
>>
>> I'm not too fussed about it - my current system has run 16.04 fine since
>> 2017 with no mythtv-systemctl-helper script.
>>
>> I don't believe it has anything to do with Mythwelcome - as I said
>> previously,it was doing this lock up before I enabled Mythwelcome when
>> the BE idle timeout shut the system down.
>>
>> I use MythTV Control Panel to set up the system , maybe that has
>> something to do with it.
> I would doubt that.  MCC just does the same things as you would have
> to do manually without it.
>
>> -Paul

> If you want to be able to see what is happening when a shutdown does
> not work, you can enable the systemd debug shell.  This is a console
> session on Ctrl-Alt-F9 that is started very early in the boot process
> and stopped very late during shutdown.  It is a root login that does
> not require you to actually log in as the login code is not available
> when it is started, so it is a huge security hole when enabled:
>
> sudo systemctl enable debug-shell.service
>
> or put this on the kernel command line:
>
> systemd.debug-shell=1
>
> Then make the bad shutdown happen and go to Ctrl-Alt-F9 and see if it
> is still running.  If it is, you can do commands like:
>
> systemctl list-jobs
>
> to see what is still running and holding up the shutdown.  You can
> then try giving kill -9 commands to things or unmounting things to see
> if the shutdown will then complete.
>
> If the Ctrl-Alt-F9 session was able to be used, then it is very likely
> that the system would eventually shut down - but it could take a very
> long time (> 20 minutes), as it is likely going to be waiting on a
> series of very long timeouts.
>
> Do not forget to disable the debug shell when you have finished using
> it:
>
> sudo systemctl disable debug-shell.service

I doubt this will work  unless it logs events to a log file up to the
point it freezes.

When the system freezes it is completely locked. Alt + SysRq REISUB does
not work   , no keyboard interactions work (wired or wireless USB
keyboards.)

I haven't tried a PS2 type keyboard.

Timing-wise the lock-up happens within a second of the normal period a
shutdown requires , so the shutdown is at the brink of a successful
completion when it locks up.

  What is the actual problem that the shutdown bug your script
addresses? I know there are mythbackend thread(s) that aren't
terminated, but what is the result of that?

-paul

-