[mythtvnz] New install - mythbackend password not accepted

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:39:05 BST 2021

On 7/04/21 10:10 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:31:30 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> I installed your helper scripts and it is looking good but with a couple
>> of idiosyncrasies.
>>
>> I was running htop on a second workspace to monitor the stopping and
>> starting of the backend.
>>
>> When I start myth backend setup  a small dialogue opens stating that
>> myth backend needs to be closed > selecting 'Yes' results in a mythtv
>> dialogue asking for a password - which won't accept the sudo password or
>> any password in the known universe. NB there are two users: the Xubuntu
>> user called myth and mythtv , I don't know if that is enlightening.
> There should not be a password request here.  The question about
> shutting down mythbackend is new in v31 I think, and will always be
> there, but after that there should not be any further dialogs - the
> helper script should be run and mythbackend should shut down.
>
> However, shutting down mythbackend has a complication.  When MythTV
> programs such as mythbackend or mythfrontend are requested to shut
> down externally, there is a bug in the MythTV codebase that happens.
> The request to shut down is a "kill -15" aka "kill -SIGTERM".  When
> MythTV code receives one of these signals, it mostly shuts down except
> for one final thread, which keeps on running.  Sending a second "kill
> -15" shortly after the first one will shut down this final thread. The
> systemd .service file for mythbackend (mythtv-backend.service) does
> not know about this problem as installed from the packages.  It only
> sends one "kill -15" and then waits for mythbackend to stop - and
> keeps on waiting and waiting and when it finally times out (90?
> seconds later), it does a kill -9 on mythbackend which then kills off
> the last thread.  The kill -9 happening does no damage as mythbackend
> is no longer doing anything, just waiting in that final thread.  But
> that long timeout will be affecting you as mythbackend will still be
> running when mythtv-setup starts.  So I think you need to install my
> fix for this problem:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/627999
> (search that page for "mythbackendstop.sh")
>
> Installing this fix will not fix the problem of a password dialog
> popping up - that should not be happening with my helper scripts in
> place.
>
>> The password dialogue is despatched into the land of wind and ghosts
>> with a simple esc keystroke or clicking 'X' or "Cancel"
>>
>> A terminal window shows myth backend setup starting.
>>
>> Myth backend setup opens and states the backend is running and htop
>> confirms this > selecting 'stop backend' closes the message box and
>> ,after 10 seconds,myth backend setup is ready for use.
>>
>> Exiting myth backend setup results in the GUI closing , A terminal
>> window shows myth backend  starting, a mythtv dialogue asking for a
>> password appears which is  closed with an "esc" . A dialogue opens
>> asking if I want to run mythfilldatabase.
> [...]

I'll check the sudoers.d helper and make the other changes regarding the
shutdown bug .

One thing I wondered about regarding the helper script was ,in your
installation procedure ,for the helper script in /mythtv/bin you issue:
chmod ug=rx,o= mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh  command and for the one in
/etc/sudoers.d you use: chmod ug=r,o= mythtv-systemctl-helper  without x
to make executable. Was this intentional? or a typo?

I'll be busy for the following 2 days and be  making the changes on
Saturday.

-Paul