[mythtvnz] Raspberry Pi 4B FE & Freeview = issues?

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Fri Dec 25 22:34:01 GMT 2020

Hey folks,

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time on my MythTV setup to try and get a
working FE again[0]. Thinking part of my problems could be related to
the RPi3B I was using, I swapped it for a RPi4B.

I have the RPi4B all up and running now, but it can't decode recordings
from Freeview smoothly. This was more or less setting things up as
described here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi .

Playback is jerky, and not very pleasant to watch. The 4 CPU cores are
all pegged at max, and even if I overclock the CPU to 2GHz, they're
still pegged at ~100% and there is no noticeable improvement.

Is anyone successfully using a RPi4B as a FE in NZ?

Yes, I know that Kodi is an option, but I'd like to be able to run
mythfrontend.

Cheers,
Andrew

[0] Earlier this year I upgraded from Stretch -> Buster and v28 (I
think) -> v31 and the FE became unusable.
--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew at etc.gen.nz         |