[mythtvnz] Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help!

Roger Searle roger.searle at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 20:54:04 BST 2018

On 1/09/18 4:17 PM, Austin Green wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 14:45:17 +1200
> Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>> I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
>>> luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV.  Anyone else have a
>>> similar set-up to this?
>>>
>>> OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
>>>
>>> The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
>>> for console, and the HDMI for the TV.  The old setup was an Asus GT 430
>>> graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
>>> I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
>>>
>>> The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
>>> All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
>>> with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
>>>
>>> We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased!   :)
>> The obvious immediate answer to that problem is to put the GT430 card
>> back in the box, if possible.  But the Intel GPU should work, even if
>> its deinterlacing will not be as good as the Nvidia card as MythTV
>> does not support the way Intel does the higher deinterlacing modes.  I
>> have not used a modern Intel GPU recently, but I have an older one in
>> my laptop (i7-3610QM processor) and I have never had any problems
>> making it work with MythTV.  I did not need to use any settings in
>> Xorg.conf - it just worked.  I do not think I have ever tried it with
>> multiple monitors though.
>>
>> How are you connecting things?  Having monitors and TVs work properly
>> relies on the EDID data.  My TV produces reasonable EDID data, so I do
>> not need to override it in settings anywhere, but some TVs are very
>> bad.  Monitors tend to have better EDID data than TVs, but can have
>> bad data also.  And the data needs to get through to the PC - so a
>> direct cable is best to try first, rather than through any HDMI
>> devices like amplifiers or switches.
> Console monitor is plugged straight into mobo DVI outlet; TV is connected
> via HDMI-over-cat5 extender.  All worked fine before with the same set-up.
> I did have to have a custom xorg.conf, and assumed that all I would need
> to do would be to change the driver from "nouveau" to "intel" -- but it
> seems not!
>
> I was hoping someone else would have the same set-up, and be able to say
> something simple like "oh, you need a later kernel version" (4.4 at present).

What happens when you connect ONLY the TV to the HDMI output of the
card, with a straight HDMI cable (eliminate the cat5 extender, maybe you
have to move the box close enough first/temporarily).  If nothing, what
about the suggestion of deleting xorg.conf (actually, rename it to
xorg.conf-old is safer), rebooting and try again?

Cheers,
Roger