[mythtvnz] Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help!

Austin Green austin.green at orcon.net.nz
Sat Sep 1 05:17:17 BST 2018

On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 14:45:17 +1200
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
> >luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV.  Anyone else have a
> >similar set-up to this?
> >
> >OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
> >
> >The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
> >for console, and the HDMI for the TV.  The old setup was an Asus GT 430
> >graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
> >I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
> >
> >The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
> >All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
> >with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
> >
> >We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased!   :)
>
> The obvious immediate answer to that problem is to put the GT430 card
> back in the box, if possible.  But the Intel GPU should work, even if
> its deinterlacing will not be as good as the Nvidia card as MythTV
> does not support the way Intel does the higher deinterlacing modes.  I
> have not used a modern Intel GPU recently, but I have an older one in
> my laptop (i7-3610QM processor) and I have never had any problems
> making it work with MythTV.  I did not need to use any settings in
> Xorg.conf - it just worked.  I do not think I have ever tried it with
> multiple monitors though.
>
> How are you connecting things?  Having monitors and TVs work properly
> relies on the EDID data.  My TV produces reasonable EDID data, so I do
> not need to override it in settings anywhere, but some TVs are very
> bad.  Monitors tend to have better EDID data than TVs, but can have
> bad data also.  And the data needs to get through to the PC - so a
> direct cable is best to try first, rather than through any HDMI
> devices like amplifiers or switches.

Console monitor is plugged straight into mobo DVI outlet; TV is connected
via HDMI-over-cat5 extender.  All worked fine before with the same set-up.
I did have to have a custom xorg.conf, and assumed that all I would need
to do would be to change the driver from "nouveau" to "intel" -- but it
seems not!

I was hoping someone else would have the same set-up, and be able to say
something simple like "oh, you need a later kernel version" (4.4 at present).