[mythtvnz] [Mythtv] How to view the backend logs

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 27 12:30:40 BST 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018 23:07:03 +1200, you wrote:

>Fixed, at least it seems to be working at the moment.
>
>I noticed that /etc/mythtv had a config file in it that still had a
>very old IP Address in it (one I have not used for 6 months at least).
>
>MythTv Backend Setup, didn't have any mention of this old address,
>does MythTv Backend Setup not change this config file?
>
>Anyway changing the config file to match the current IP Address of the
>machine seems to have fixed things. I'm still not sure how it worked
>all this time with the wrong IP Address, and why it suddenly stopped
>worked maybe someone on this list has some idea.

I am not sure why that would have cause intermittent problems.  I
would have expected it to just not work at all.  But remember that
there are other config.xml files, one in each MythTV user home
directory under .mythtv/config.xml.  The one in
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml is the one used by mythbackend when
run in the normal way on Ubuntu.  The one in /home/<your user
name>/.mythtv/config.xml is the one used by mythfrontend when run by
that user.  Depending on how you have things set up, they may or may
not be links to /etc/mythtv/config.xml.  On a combined
frontend/backend box, I normally link them, rather than have separate
files, as that means there is only one copy to edit when you change
things.  The IP address in config.xml is the address used to connect
to the database.  The IP address for the backend is read from the
database.

If the /home/<user name>/.mythtv/config.xml file is missing, I think
that MythTV programs may try to use /etc/mythtv/config.xml file, but I
am not sure about that.